Sunday, December 29, 2019

Wagner, the Wehr-Wolf

Two weeks ago, I recommended George W. M. Reynolds' novel Wagner, the Wehr-Wolf. I stand by my recommendation albeit with a word of warning to the 21st century reader.

The novel was first published, in installments, almost 175 years ago. As reading was, in most cases, the only distraction available to the average person during the19th century, novels of that period tended to have more elaborate plots than novels written today. The stories just seemed to go on and on. That's certainly the case with Wagner, the Wehr-Wolf. Characters aren't just mentioned in passing; it seems every character in the novel has a detailed story that needs to be told.

I actually wonder why the novel was named after the Wehr-Wolf. If we calculate the space given to each character, I doubt Wagner would be number one. That honor might very well go to Nisida—the deaf and dumb daughter of Count of Riverola.

I don't know of Reynold's religious affiliation, but I suspect that like most of his English contemporaries, Reynolds may have been a Protestant. He doesn't appear to have much love for the Catholics in the novel - he's more tolerant of the Jewish and Moslem characters.

The most surprising turn in the novel, from my perspective, was the appearance of the founder of the Rosicrucian Order, Christian Rosenkreuz (spelled Christian Rosencrux in the novel).

I'm not about to give spoilers, but note that should you be inclined to read this novel, be prepared for a long read.

No comments: