Saturday, December 7, 2019

My Return

One week after the death of my PC the computer is back from the shop and I'm ready to blog again.

The PC wasn't in the shop the entire week - I didn't bring it in to Algorithm Computer Services until Wednesday afternoon. The problem involved the power supply. I suppose the frequent lose of power, due to brown-outs while the PC was running, was finally too much. The power supply was replaced. Total cost - including labor - was 1,170 pesos (about $22 at today's exchange rate).

The tech at Algorithm managed to save my files - documents and photos etc. However, I lost the saved passwords on my web browser. Fortunately, I had most of the passwords saved elsewhere. There's a minor glitch with the Kindle for PC, but I can live with it. The worst part of the whole thing is that I've lost the Spotify app I had on my PC. I can't download another onto my PC because my operating system is prehistoric. I can listen to Spotify on my phone but it is inferior to the old PC app I once had. I could improve my Spotify experience on my phone if I were willing to go "premium", which I'm not at this point.

While I was without my computer, I made use of my Kindle. A week or so ago, I came across "The Gracie Allen Murder Case" online and I enjoyed the film so much that I looked into the entire Philo Vance series. The 12 crime novels in the series are in the public domain in Canada and are available for download at Fadedpage.com. I had uploaded the first in the series, The Benson Murder Case to my Kindle with plans to put the other eleven in as well. After reading the first novel, I decided to wait before reading any more. I just wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be.

When I had finished reading The Benson Murder Case, I started on two others I had also downloaded from Fadedpage - Wise Blood and The Violent Bear it Away both by Flannery O'Connor.

I'll speak more about those two novels in another blog post.

No comments: