Saturday, April 2, 2016

A New Favorite

I'm making my way through Volume One of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's, The Gulag Archipelago. It'll take time to finish - I'm reading other, less intense books at the same time.

Since beginning Solzhenitsyn's work, I've read a few short stories by Anton ChekhovThe Beasts of Tarzan by Edgar Rice Burroughs and I've nearly finished reading The Lodger by Marie Adelaide Belloc Lowndes.

The Beasts of Tarzan is the third in Burroughs' Tarzan series. Looking at two of my past reading lists, I'm reminded that I read the first two Tarzan books in 2011 and 2012. This third one shows that Burroughs improved with experience. I've already downloaded number four in the series, The Son of Tarzan. Not sure when I'll get around to it, but it's on the list.

The Lodger  has come as a pleasant surprise. I was looking into Hitchcock movies available on Youtube and discovered his movie based on Lowndes' novel. The novel itself was inspired by the story of Jack the Ripper.

Once I've finished reading The Lodger, I'll download another of Lowndes' novels from Project Gutenberg. She has the makings of becoming my new favorite.

No comments: