Thursday, January 11, 2018

A New Workout Routine


I am currently doing a dumbbell routine based around a push-pull approach. Some exercises using free weights involve a pushing motion - like those for chest and/or triceps, while exercises for back and/or biceps involve a pulling motion. I have been doing the "push" workouts on Mondays and Thursdays with the "pull" workouts on Tuesdays and Fridays. There were no dumbbell workouts on Wednesday, Saturday, or Sunday. If there's no rain, I take a morning walk every day but Sunday.

I don't recall when I started this routine, but it's been quite a long time. I purchased these dumbbells in July of 2016 so, I'm reasonably sure that I've been following this basic routine since then. It could have actually been longer - I can't remember my exact routine from the days when I was using the gym in Sibulan.

I've decided to make some changes in the routine starting this coming Monday. This is not part of a New Year's resolution. I feel that this routine has become too stressful on my shoulders (the shoulders are getting work-outs on both the push and the pull days). The morning dumbbell workout can last between 45 minutes to an hour, and I've not been getting adequate rest (recovery) between workout days.

Beginning Monday, I will divide the exercises differently, as well as changing the number of dumbbell days from four to three times a week.

Monday will consist of dumbbell exercises for back and biceps only, followed by an ab workout. Wednesday will be for chest and triceps only, followed by abs. Friday will be shoulders, legs and abs. There will be no dumbbell workouts on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, or Sundays.

I'll continue to walk every morning (except Sunday) when there is no rain.

Depending on how I feel next week, I may begin doing a few minutes of yoga Sun Salutations on the three "off days" (excluding Sundays). It's been several years since I've done a serious yoga routine, and the Surya Namaskara seems like a good place to start a return.

As an aside, the photo is from July, 2016 showing the first set of dumbbells I purchased from Lee Plaza. I have, since that time, purchased addition weight plates and a workout bench.

No comments: