Sunday, September 23, 2018

Download Deferred

Earlier this year, after watching The Maltese Falcon, I searched the Internet to find information about the novel on which the film was based. I was able to find a copy of the novel as an e-book on a Canadian website, fadedpage.com. Several of Dashiell Hammett's works are no longer under copyright in Canada and are aslo available for download at that website.

A few nights ago, after watching a documentary film on Humphrey Bogart, I did a similar search for the novel that inspired Bogart's film, The African Queen. Like the Dashiell Hammett novel, I discovered The African Queen, written by C.S. Forester, is also out of copyright in Canada and available for download as an e-book at fadedpage.com. Before beginning the novel, I downloaded (and began reading) Forester's first novel, Payment Deferred.

I was so impressed with the crime novel, I immediately downloaded two more novels by Forester, Plain Murder and The Peacemaker.

Unfortunately, I was unable to transfer The Peacemaker mobi onto my Kindle. I tried transferring the e-book directly via a usb cable, as well as attempting to send it to my Kindle by email. I'm assuming that the file I have has been corrupted, although it can be read on the Kindle app on my computer. I don't like reading ebooks on my pc, so I made one more attempt at getting a copy of the novel to my Kindle.

Thinking the mobi file from fadedpage might be corrupted, I download the novel as a pdf. which I converted to mobi by going to online-convert.com. This converted file can now be read on my Kindle.

Where there's a Will, there's a Way.

No comments: