Monday, July 28, 2008

The Cord Sponsors.

Yesterday, my wife and I were participants in the wedding of two of our friends. It was a traditional Catholic/Filipino ceremony in which my wife and I were the cord sponsors.
For those unfamiliar with this, the cord sponsors stand up during the ceremony with a cord that is in the form of a figure eight. The loops are loosely placed around the neck and shoulder area of the couple. This symbolizes the infinite bond of marriage.
I also gave the second reading which was from the First Letter of Saint Paul to the Corinthians and I'm including the reading below;

SECOND READING: 1 Corinthians 12:31- 13:8a

A reading from the First Letter of Saint Paul to the Corinthians
Brothers and sisters:
Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts.
But I shall show you a still more excellent way.

If I speak in human and angelic tongues
But do not have love,
I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal.
And if I have the gift of prophecy
And comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge;
If I have all faith so as to move mountains,
But do not have love, I am nothing.

If I give away everything I own,
And if I hand my body over so that I may boast
But do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind.
It is not jealous, is not pompous,
It is not inflated, it is not rude
It does not seek its own interests,
It is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not
Rejoice over wrong-doing
But rejoices with the truth.

It bears all things, believes all things,
Hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never fails.

The word of the Lord.
Thanks be to God.

No comments: