Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ



In a few days, a remake of Ben-Hur will be released in the U.S.. Cal Thomas gives the remake a favorable review, but, sadly, it doesn't seem likely that it will be opening near me any time soon.

It's been ages since I watched the 1959 version. I do recall enjoying it as a kid.

It wasn't until I read Thomas' review, that the original novel by Lew Wallace appeared on my radar. Published in 1880, Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ was a best seller, surpassing Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin in sales. The novel remained at the top of the best sellers list until the publication of Gone With The Wind. Pope Leo XIII blessed the novel......making it the only work of fiction to be blessed by any Pope.

I read Uncle Tom's Cabin in 2011 and Gone With The Wind last year. I decided to download Ben-Hur from Project Gutenberg and complete that bucket list.

I'm only 15% into the e-book, but it looks to be superior to Gone With The Wind.


No comments: