Thursday, March 29, 2012

Books.

Being basically out of commission due to recent surgery, I've been spending more time reading than would be normal for me if I were working regularly. After reading the first two of ER Burroughs Tarzan books, I downloaded the five in his Barsoom series that are out of copyright and thereby free at Project Gutenberg.

The first in the series - A Princess of Mars - was interesting enough, I guess, but it's been really a struggle to get thru the second - The Gods of Mars - I was disappointed in Burrough's method of getting John Carter to and from Mars; also, it doesn't take long before the constant fighting between Carter and a weird assortment of Barsoomians wears thin.

Honestly, the only way I could finish it was to tell myself that I could go on to something better (like Charles Chaput's A Heart on Fire: Catholic Witness and the Next America) once it was done.

No comments: