Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Oil Change




Following the maintenance schedule recommended by Hyundai, we took the car into the dealership for the first two oil changes, where we were given a discount for doing so. With the third oil change, the price would go back to Hyundai's regular price.

When the time had arrived for the 3rd oil change, I went to the dealership to find out the price before hand. I was planning on returning the next day until I heard the price. It would be over 4000 pesos, I was told. That's roughly $80 in U.S. dollars. Needless to say, I did not return as planned but began looking for somewhere else for the oil change.

After looking into a few places, I decided on the Shell oil service station located near the Dumaguete airport. The cost for the oil and filter (no cost for labor) came to 1045 pesos - or roughly $20.

Unlike in the U.S., I was able to stand in the work area and watch the man up close. I took advantage of that difference to take a few photos.

The man changing the oil was having an extremely difficult time removing the old oil filter. As can be seen it the photos, he had to practically destroy it to remove it. I can't say for certain, but I believe the difficulty may have come about because Hyundai had not changed the filter during the previous oil changes. I can't prove that it wasn't changed, but the thought that they'd pull such a stunt ticks me off.





No comments: