Thursday, January 19, 2017

The Book List Turns to WWI

Having finished reading The Adventures of Elizabeth in Rügen, I've begun reading the first of the top selling books of 1917, Mr. Britling Sees It Through, by H. G. Wells. It was one book in particular which lead me to the decision to read the 1917 best sellers - Christine by Alice Cholmondeley. Alice Cholmondeley was a pen name used by Elizabeth von Arnim.

The last five books I've read were written by von Arnim, and it was my plan, originally, to read Christine first. However, after The Adventures of Elizabeth in Rügen, I changed my mind. That book did not impress me as much as the other four von Arnim books and I decided to take a short break from her.

Mr. Britling Sees It Through begins just prior to World War I. There are references to the Irish War of Independence which escape me, but overall, the book is enjoyable.

Following H. G. Wells, The Light in the Clearing by Irving Bacheller is next on the list.

No comments: