Sunday, September 4, 2011

Slow Week.

It's been a week since my last blog post; alas, there haven't been emails from fans wondering about my absence. Not one question about the results of my attempt to make homemade yogurt using a crock pot.

Actually, the yogurt turned out OK. It wasn't - at first- as thick as I thought it should be, but it thickened up after refrigeration. I'll be making a second batch tomorrow using whole milk this time instead of 2%.

A week or so ago, I was reading an article, on a Catholic oriented website, which made reference to Big Bang: The Origin of the Universe by Simon Singh. I've forgotten the title of the article and exactly where it was located, but it did lead me to search for Singh's book. Cheapskate that I am, I could not bring myself to spend $18.45 (plus shipping) for a copy. I did, however, order a "very good" used hardcover copy for less than $6 ......shipping included. The book arrived Monday, much earlier than expected. I've been reading a few pages every night before going to sleep.

From the inside cover jacket:

"Renowned for making difficult ideas much less difficult than they might first appear, Simon Singh is our perfect guide to explaining why cosmologists believe that the Big Bang is an accurate description of the origin and evolution of the universe."

I don't recall when I first learned of the Big Bang , but I remember thinking that the theory, as I understood it, sounded remarkably like the description used the nuns who first told me how God created the universe. I've never quite understood why some Christians dismiss the theory out of hand.

Musical surprise of the week:
Just discovered Wilman De Jesus. Don't ask me to explain why I like his music.

No comments: