Sunday, April 10, 2016

An Early Thought on "Amoris Laetitia".

I mentioned in an earlier post that, in addition to Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's, The Gulag Archipelago, I was simultaneously reading other books. I'm still in the Gulag, so to speak, but I'm also alternating it with The Son of Tarzan by Edgar Rice Burroughs and Studies In Wives by Marie Adelaide Belloc Lowndes.

Now, as if I don't have enough to read, Pope Francis has released an apostolic exhortation, Amoris Laetitia ,which I've already downloaded, converted to mobi and begun reading on Kindle.

Like Catholic blogger, LarryD, I will most definitely follow paragraph 7 of the exhortation :

"Given the rich fruits of the two-year Synod process, this Exhortation will treat, in different ways, a wide variety of questions. This explains its inevitable length. Consequently, I do not recommend a rushed reading of the text. The greatest benefit, for families themselves and for those engaged in the family apostolate, will come if each part is read patiently and carefully, or if at­tention is paid to the parts dealing with their spe­cific needs. It is likely, for example, that married couples will be more concerned with Chapters Four and Five, and pastoral ministers with Chap­ter Six, while everyone should feel challenged by Chapter Eight. It is my hope that, in reading this text, all will feel called to love and cherish family life, for 'families are not a problem; they are first and foremost an opportunity' ".

This work does need to be read carefully, yet already there are many on both sides of the cultural battleground firing shots at Amoris Laetitia. There has not been nearly enough time, since the release of the document, for anyone to have read it carefully and objectively. I've read portions of it and have yet to come upon anything that warrants the criticism leveled against it.

I'm not going to link to any of these negative articles. They can be found easily enough without my help.

The only comment I will make at this time is that the more I see of this Pope, the more I like and admire him.

No comments: