Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Okra......Part Two



In my recent post on okra, I mentioned my problems getting okra seeds to germinate and how I had come across a website which recommended two "tricks" for sprouting okra -

1) Some people soak the seeds in warm water for 24 hours.
2) To get them to germinate faster, place your okra seeds in the freezer overnight.

I was skeptical, but willing to give both methods a try. I soaked a few seeds in water and put a few in a sandwich bag which I've popped into the freezer.

This morning, I put both sets of seeds into soil. The larger plastic container shown in the photo contains the frozen seeds; the two smaller containers hold the pre-soaked seeds. I'm still holding on to the original okra seed containers in order to compare all three methods to see if there is any significant difference between the three.

I'll continue to photograph and monitor the progress.....you know, all scientific like.

No comments: