Friday, November 21, 2008

S.C. Priest, "Oops, my bad."

Rev. Jay Scott Newman of Greenville S.C. caused quite a stir with his comments on Catholics who voted for Barack Obama.
Of course, most of the main-stream media criticized him for his remarks, but nearly all of the Catholic bloggers I've read were supportive of the priest. Even when Fr. Newman was rebuked by his superiors, the bloggers stood behind him.
The support from his parishioners has been inspiring.....but, after receiving a standing ovation from nearly 200 people attending Mass Saturday, Fr, Newman said,
"I wrote my column in haste. I should have taken my time." He went on to say that he had not done a very good job stating his position, although he declined to explain what he meant by that.
I'm a bit disappointed.
The Church's stance on pro abortion politicians is confusing, to say the least. A few Bishops have banned pro abortion Catholic politicians from taking Communion, but otherwise, it appears the Church just looks the other way.
Conservative Catholics had expected things to be different under Pope Benedict XVI. I don't think he's quite the "rottweiler" we all thought he would be.

Links:
SC priest says he was hasty in Obama comments
Priest says he wrote Obama column too hastily

No comments: