Friday, October 14, 2016

Trump Inducted into Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

OK, I made that up, but with the latest news concerning Bob Dylan, I couldn't resist.

I first learned that Bob Dylan had been awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature from the blog Abbey Roads. My reaction to the post was this comment:

"Well, if Jimmy Carter and Barack Obama deserve a Noble Peace Prize then I guess Dylan deserves the Nobel Prize in Literature".

While most folks appear to be pleased with his selection, I'm not the only person on the planet who finds Dylan winning a Noble Prize for anything more than a bit bizarre.

Writer Irvine Welsh had this to say -

"I’m a Dylan fan, but this is an ill conceived nostalgia award wrenched from the rancid prostates of senile, gibbering hippies".

In the Swedish daily Sydsvenskan, literary critic Per Svensson wrote,

"This is a 'trumpification' of the Nobel Prize. It's very depressing."

I never imagined I'd ever read a comparison between Bob Dylan and Donald Trump, but Svensson's comment seems appropriate.

See also:

A world that gives Bob Dylan a Nobel Prize is a world that nominates Trump for president

No comments: