Thursday, March 23, 2017

Rugby?


One of the sports networks available on cable in Philippines - and not available in the U.S. - and quickly becoming one of my favorites is Setanta Sports. The network broadcasts Rugby football matches - both Rugby league and Rugby union. Until coming across this network, I had no understanding of Rugby. Not only did I not know the rules of the game, but I had no idea that there were two versions of the game. Not being able to watch College Football from the U.S., Rugby has become my favorite form of football - it's far and away better than soccer.

Now that I'm beginning to appreciate the game, I find that I prefer Rugby union over Rugby league. Although the rules of the game as followed by the two codes are very similar, I have noticed differences concerning tackling and the Scrum. The Scrum in Rugby union is a bit more rough and tumble than Rugby league Scrum. These additional rough and tumble aspects lead me to choose union over league matches, if given an option.

Saturday on the Setanta network is the day for Super Rugby - the largest rugby union competition in the southern hemisphere, consisting of teams from Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

In addition to the Setanta network, Rugby matches are also shown on other European based cable channels in Philippines. I've been able to watch northern hemisphere matches between French teams as well as teams from Great Britain and Ireland.  My friends in the U.S. don't know what they're missing.

No comments: