Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Something Good to Say About DST.

When living in the U.S., I made no secret of my dislike for Daylight Saving Time. I never bought into the lie that, somehow the scheme increased daylight hours. The whole thing was simply manipulation of the clock and it really made no difference if you called sundown 8 or 9 o'clock.

Being so close to the equator, it would make absolutely no sense for Philippines to buy into Daylight Saving Time. The sun comes up and goes down at pretty much the same time all throughout the year and sanity concerning DST is one of the things I like about living here. No more Spring Forward - Fall Back for me.

But, after all these years, I have something nice to say about DST. During the winter months, when the U.S. is on Standard Time, Philippines is 13 hours ahead of the Eastern Time Zone. When it's 5 PM in New York, it's 6 AM the following day here. When the U.S. goes over to DST, we are 12 hours ahead of New York. So now, with DST being in effect, one of my favorite TV shows, The Five, airs at 5 AM local time instead of 6 AM. Now, I'm able to watch the entire program without interruption. When it airs at 6 AM Philippine time, I have to leave half way through to take my son to school.

I can now watch the entire hour.......at least until Fall when the U.S. changes over once again.

No comments: