Saturday, August 27, 2016

Google Street View - A Missed Opportunity



As I've mentioned before, I've been uploading photos of different locations in Dumaguete and Sibulan onto Google Maps. As I write this post, I've uploaded 378 photos of 112 places in the area. It's my latest hobby. I'll be adding even more photos as the days go by.

As a matter of fact, I was in Dumaguete taking photos yesterday afternoon. My wife had an appointment in the city. I drove her across town and spent about an hour taking photos. Parking in the Lee Plaza parking area, I walked around a couple of streets and was able to get quite a few photos. From Dunkin' Donuts to the Philippine Immigration office, to banks and stores, and even a hospital

After being in the hot sun for nearly an hour, I was ready to get back into my air conditioned car and head home. I continued taking photos on the drive home, of course. As I was passing in front of the Dumaguete Airport, I saw an odd looking vehicle parked along the side of the highway. On closer inspection, I see that it's the Google Maps Street View car. It's obviously in the area, getting updates.

I was tempted to stop. There was plenty of space to park, and I thought of pulling over to take a photo of the car. I talked myself out of pulling over. I don't know why I didn't stop. I had immediately told myself that it wasn't important.

Moments later, as I drove down the highway, I regretted my decision. I should have taken a photo, I told myself. At least, I'd have something to blog about or post on Facebook.

Ten minutes later, after I arrived home and transferred my photos from my camera to my PC, I got back into the car and drove in the direction of the airport. The traffic was so heavy, I expected the Google Maps Street View car to still be parked in front of the airport. After all, it would be difficult for the car to get very good street view photos. Too many cars blocking the view.

When I arrived at the spot where I had earlier seen the car, it had already moved on. I was kicking myself was missing a great photo opportunity. Driving up the highway would be difficult for the car, but I suppose it had an option of turning right just past the airport onto the road Google Maps calls the Western Nautical Highway. That road goes by the Carmelite Monastery and the St. Joseph Seminary College and makes it's way along the coastline in Cangmating, Sibulan. There wouldn't be any traffic at all, to speak of on that road.

Of course, I don't have any idea of the ins and outs of the scheduling of the Google Maps' car's itinerary. Obviously, Google's in the area for a reason. Is it possible that my recent addition of "missing businesses" to that area has prompted Google to send the car out to review the additions. I've added several new places onto Google maps.....a few were instantly approved (like the Maslog Barangay Hall and the Seventh-Day Adventist Church) but many are still up for review. What is Google's process for reviewing new place additions? Is that why the car is in the area?

Maybe, I'm putting too much importance on my participation. Maybe the Google Street View car being in my area is just a coincidence.

No comments: