Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Merry Christmas from Philippines

Earlier this year, I made a promise to myself that I would do my best to post 366 posts this year (this being leap year). Of course, this means an average of one post per day. I knew there would be days I'd miss, either from my being busy with other things or from lack of inspiration. I'd even need to occasionally write more than two on some days. February was a particularly bad month with only 10 posts. This was finally made up with a whopping 54 posts in May.

Today is August 31 and I should have 244 total posts to stay on average and 31 posts for the month of August. This particular post will be number 241 for the year - number 28 for the month. So, with this posting, I will be only three posts behind. That's a number that can easily be made up.

The real focus of this post is that with the end of August, comes the beginning (tomorrow) of the 'ber' months in Philippines. Years ago, when I first heard of the 'ber', I had no clue what it was. Before we were married, my wife mentioned that the celebration of Christmas begins in Philippines with the 'ber'. She went on to explain that the 'ber' were the months ending in b.e.r.......September, October, November and December.

Starting tomorrow, we will begin hearing Christmas carols being played on T.V., in the shopping centers, and coming through the open windows of our neighbors.

I know many Americans believe the Christmas season begins in December. Some would say that the season actually begins the day after Thanksgiving in November. Most Americans shake their heads in amazement if Christmas decorations are brought out in Walmart before Halloween is over. For those Americans, the 'ber' would take quite a bit of getting used to. But, here in Philippines, it's the normal way and is accepted without any objections, as far as I can tell.

So, with September 1st less than 24 hours away, let me be the first to wish you all a Merry Christmas.

No comments: