Monday, August 29, 2016

Today's Photos



My new hobby of adding photos and reviews to Google Maps began with an email from Google Maps informing me that the eight photos I had previously added to the site had been viewed more than 5,000 times. In the six days or so since receiving that email, I've added approximately 550 additional photos to Google Maps.

I mentioned in a post earlier this morning that I'd be going out to day to take photographs. It was these 90 that pushed my photo contributions to over the 500 mark.

All together, I've added photographs for 169 different locations in Philippines - the majority being in Dumaguete and Sibulan, although I have posted photos from a few places on Cebu island.

As it turned out, today was an especially good day for going out and about shooting photos. Today, being a holiday in Philippines, (National Heroes Day) the traffic was fairly light. Of course, it was still early when my son and I started and that certainly helped as well.

I also mentioned in the earlier post that I had recommended nearly thirty additions to Google Maps. At the time of that writing, 15 had been approved with 12 being reviewed. Since then, I was awarded "points" for 10 of those 15. The 12 are still under review, as well as the location of a 7-eleven store which I added after this morning's trek.

Some of my successful, published additions include the Magatas Barangay Hall, the Arbee's Bakeshop in Sibulan, and the Seventh-Day Adventist church, also in Sibulan.

As I stated above, when contacted by Google Maps six days ago, my eight photos had been viewed more than 5,000 times. Since then, my photos (including the new ones posted this week) have been viewed nearly 14,000 times. Besides the highly viewed photos of the parish Church in Sibulan, one of my photos of a hotel in Dumaguete (Check-inn Pension Plaza) has been viewed 340 times in the three days since it was added. Most surprising to me is that my photo of the Ceres Liner bus terminal in Dumaguete has also been viewed an equal number of times in the same three days.

On the lighter side, one of my photos of the Hotel Bee Motel has been viewed about 80 times. The Hotel Honey Bee is one of the rent by the hour, No-Tell Motels written about in another post. Obviously, quite a few couples were interested in finding a place for a tête-à-tête. One has to wonder if viewing this photograph encouraged or discouraged the use of this particular motel.

All my photos uploaded to Google Maps can be seen by clicking here.

No comments: