Monday, August 29, 2016

Adding Businesses To Google Maps

One thing that I can do as a Local Guide for Google Maps is to suggest edits by adding missing businesses to the map. I've done this quite a few times recently. As a matter of fact, as I write this blog post, I've suggested 27 additions.

When locations are added, Google will do one of two things; Google will either put the suggestion up for review, or publish the addition immediately. So far,15 of my 27 additions were added immediately with 12 still open for review. Frankly, I don't understand why Google immediately approves some additions over certain others. The process seems a bit random to me.

I was able to add one or two government run places - like a barangay hall or an elementary school - so I thought that might be the way to go until they put my addition of the Sibulan Multi Purpose and Evacuation Center up for review. Likewise, Google didn't have a problem with my addition of one spa located in Dumaguete, but two spas I added into review. Two businesses in Sibulan - Arbee's Bakeshop and Pacifica Agrivet Supplies were published immediately, but the business located between those two - AHL Richie & AHL Rose Bakeshop, is being reviewed. There just doesn't seem to be a set rhyme or reason behind it all.

I can understand that some locations might need to be reviewed before adding them to the Google Map, but Google has let quite a few placed by others which are not at all accurate. I discovered two schools - Cangmating Elementary and Boloc-boloc Elementary - as being shown to be located in "downtown" Sibulan in the Poblacion barangay, when both are actually located miles away in entirely different barangay.

It's still early morning. I'll be going out later today to take more photos. Oh well, it keeps me busy and out of trouble.

No comments: