Monday, September 12, 2016

The Holiday Meal


Today, September 12, 2016 - the day after the fifteenth anniversary of the terrorist attacks known as "9 -11" - is also the Muslim holiday, Eid al-Adha.

Partly out of deference to it's tiny Muslim population, and partly due to the fact that Filipinos cannot resist any holiday, today is a legal holiday in Philippines. This being Eid al-Adha, I thought I'd try a recipe for pork chops which I've been meaning to try for quite some time.

A little after 6:00 this morning, I drove to the public market in Sibulan to purchase a kilo of pork chops. That kilo is shown in the photo above. The pork chops cost 190 Ph pesos for the one kilo. Converting pesos to dollars and kilos to lbs, that makes the price $1.86 per lb. I've no idea what the current price of pork chops are in the U.S.; maybe one of my friends will let me know.

No comments: