Friday, June 16, 2017

Another Piggery Update


I took these photos yesterday showing the latest addition to the piggery. As can be seen, the concrete floor has been poured. We can also see the coconut tree stump that I took note of in an earlier post.

There's nothing that can be done about the stump. Had an attempt been made to remove it now, it would probably compromised the septic tank that is beneath the main piggery. It should have been dealt with a year ago. Now, it's too late.

I'm told that when the first pregnant sow is transferred to this new space, the door from her current pen will be moved to accommodate the new pen. My wife's papa says it will be the sow I call Olivia that will farrow first. I believe he is mistaken. If I recall, it was actually Peppa which became pregnant first. This is what I was told at the time. Olivia had been bred first, but it was not successful. He also showed me the calendar where he had marked February 2 as the date Olivia was bred. If that were the case, the due date of the piglets would have been May 27. According to an earlier blog post, Peppa would have been bred sometime after February 21, putting the due date to this weekend.

No comments: