Friday, June 2, 2017

Trump and the Paris Climate Accord

 President Donald Trump has announced that the U.S. is withdrawing from the 2015 Paris climate agreement and blogger Mark Shea has unleashed a firestorm of anti-Trump vitriol. In Shea's opinion, by his withdrawal from the agreement, Trump has flipped off Pope Francis and now, "Trumpian Catholics" are cheering.

I wanted to leave a comment on Shea's post, but as I've been banned from commenting on his blog, [twice, actually] I have to address his post here.

First of all, as I've said time and again, I did not vote for Donald Trump and I wish someone else (other than Hillary Clinton) had won instead. Secondly, I support Pope Francis. In a battle between Trump and the Pope, the Pope wins every time. Thirdly, although I see the discussion over climate change as more political than scientific, I lean on the side that maintains that the planet is warming and human activity contributes to that warming.

With all that being said, I find all the weeping and moaning over the Paris climate agreement withdrawal ridiculous.

Trump supporters claim withdrawing from the accord will make America Great Again. The anti-Trumpers says Trump's action will destroy the planet. Both sides are full of the organic matter I spread on my garden.

I've read the Paris agreement (found as a pdf thanks to NPR) and it is, as Hillary Clinton might say, the "biggest nothing burger, ever."

As an aside, thanks to Hillary, we can now dispense with phrase "nothing burger" from this point forward.

My reasons for being against the Paris agreement are the opposite of Trump's. Trump doesn't believe in climate change, probably hasn't read the agreement - but believes signing it hurts Americans.

I, on the other hand, believe in the science behind climate change, I have read the agreement and believe the accord to be 31 pages of useless crap. Like everything thing else Liberals support, it is a useless document written to make people believe they are accomplishing something when they aren't actually doing squat.

No comments: