Friday, June 16, 2017

Changes on Google Maps


A couple of days ago, I logged onto the home page for Google Maps Local Guides and was surprised to see an incredible change in my "points". I don't recall the exact number I had before then - somewhere around 1500 - I think. The total points had jumped up to over ten thousand. I went further in and saw some phenomenal numbers. I was seeing more than 1,000 points for my 181 reviews, almost 7,000 points for my photos and over 2000 for places added.

I was certain that there was some sort of glitch in the system. I "refreshed" the page several times and logged out and returned later with the same weird results.

This morning, I received an email from Google Maps explaining everything. It read, in part :

"Points are changing to reward contributions that help people most. You will earn even more for reviews, photos, and edits—and the most for adding new places on Google Maps".

Now, according to the explanation, there would be 5 points per review, 5 points per photo, 5 points per edit, and 15 points per place added. Prior to the change, each of those would have received one point.

There's no explanation as to why the point system has changed. I don't see the point.

No comments: