Sunday, May 14, 2017

Avocados


I hadn't planned on driving into Dumaguete this morning, but some unexpected expenses made it necessary for me to go to my bank and use the ATM for a bit of cash.

Near the ATM, sat three ladies selling avocados - 50 pesos per kilo. That amounts to about 50 cents per lb in U.S. currency. The Filipina selling the six avocados seen here said that this was 2 kilos. That would be $2 for about 4 1/2 lbs. I was taking her word that the weight was 2 kilos, although I really didn't have to just take her word for it; I just happened to have my digital scale in the car and I could have double checked the weight. As it turned out, I did weigh the avocados when I arrived home. The true weight was actually 1.59 kilo - not 2 kilos. I paid 20 pesos too much. That comes to about 40 cents.

Even though I paid too much by Philippine prices, I still came out OK. It turned out to be 3 1/2 lbs for $2.

After taking the first photo, I realized that there was no frame of reference for viewers of the photo to judge the size of the avocados. The 2nd photo includes a 5 peso coin. For Americans, that's about the size of a quarter.

No comments: