Monday, May 2, 2016

William Faulkner's Sanctuary

A few nights ago, I was watching (on Youtube) a 1933 -pre Code film entitled The Story of Temple Drake,which was an adaptation of William Faulkner's novel, Sanctuary.

I hadn't read Faulkner's novel, but if this film was a "watered down" version of the book, I was certain that I'd find the novel to be especially scandalous. The film's depiction of a rape victim being forced into prostitution is said to be one of the reasons for the introduction of the Hays Code covering Hollywood movies.

I was able to locate a copy of Sanctuary as a pdf which I could download for free and convert to mobi.

At the beginning of the novel, I saw the book as being on an equal footing (regarding scandalous material) as the film, but it was not long before Faulkner took the story to a new level.

I consider myself well read and not easily shocked, but there were episodes in the novel that were more horrific than anything I've previously read. When Faulkner originally submitted the novel for publication in 1929, "his publisher explained that they would both be sent to prison if the story was ever published".

Not revealing the ending, I could say that there may be some justice in the end, but I can say without fear of contradiction, that no one would say the story ends happily for anyone.

No comments: