Thursday, July 20, 2017

Tambis or Makopa?


In another post [The Piglets at Four Weeks] I mentioned that I had taken some unripened fruit, which I had picked from a tree growing at the apartment complex where we live, to the piggery to serve as a treat for the pigs. The tree grows beside the area where I park my car at night.

I park my car outside the complex gate during the day to prevent sap and bits of fruit falling onto the car.

When I took the photos of the fruit tree today, I had only intended to post one with the post about the piglets. I went to the web to identify the tree before writing the earlier post, and the confusion that resulted from that search is the reason why this deserves a seperate entry.

There two related fruit trees that grow here in Philippines - the tambis and the makopa. Both are in the genus Syzygium and belong to the myrtle family. Although the fruits have reportedly different textures and tastes, there seems to be a bit of confusion as to which is which. It appears to be more complicated than "You Say 'Tomato'....."

Even after reading the article linked to above, I am not at all certain if the tree at the apartment complex is the tambis or the makopa. I don't particularly care for the taste of the ripened fruit and will only use it as pig feed, so the correct name isn't of any real importance to me at this point.



No comments: