Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The Snow Job of Kilimanjaro

It was through his work with Alfred Hitchcock [PsychoNorth by NorthwestVertigo] that I first became a fan of composer Bernard Hermann. Recently, I'm been listening to one of Hermann's scores for a film I haven't seen - The Snows of Kilimanjaro, starring Gregory Peck, Susan Hayward and Ava Gardner.

The film is in the public domain and available for viewing on Youtube, but sadly with the dismally slow Internet that I have to live with here, it is impossible for me to watch it. It seems a bit odd to me that I can stream music via Spotify (including the original soundtrack to The Snows of Kilimanjaro) but not videos.

With the film being in the public domain, it's unlikely that it will be shown on TCM. Someone has to make money, after all. So, it's unlikely that I'll see the movie any time in the near future.

After looking for an image to include with this post, the one I've chosen to use has an odd statement regarding the film - "Ernest Hemingway's Greatest Love Story!".

What a bunch of B.S.

Although I haven't seen the film, I know that the short story, as written by Hemingway can hardly be called a love story - great or otherwise. Ava Gardner's character isn't even in Hemingway's story. We know that Hollywood can't let artistic accuracy stand in the way of making a buck. Maybe the poster should say The Snow Job of Kilimanjaro.

No comments: