Friday, January 10, 2020

Beau Geste

In a blog post from late December, I wrote of my habit of visiting ok.ru to watch old movies - usually made in the 30's and 40's. After watching Mr. Skeffington, starring Bette Davis and Claude Rains, I took a look at the film that made Marlene Dietrich an international star, The Blue Angel.

I had seen the film many years ago. The version I found on ok.ru had enough English in it to make the film understandable.

Immediately after watching The Blue Angel, I began watching the six Paramount films starring Dietrich with Josef von Sternberg as director. I'll have more about those films in a later post.

The first of those six Paramount films was Morocco with Gary Cooper as Dietrich's love interest. Seeing Cooper in the role of a soldier in the French Foreign Legion reminded of another movie starring Cooper, Beau Geste. I vaguely remember seeing the film on TV as a boy and I'm sure I'll be watching it again soon. Before that, though, I want to read the novel of the same name, which I've downloaded from fadedpage.com and uploaded to my new Kindle.

I'm 25% into Beau Geste and I'm loving it. It's quite the page turner.

No comments: