Thursday, January 16, 2020

Celsius 233 - An Update


At the bottom of each blog post, you'll find the words "You might also like:" and displays of other posts which might appeal to the readers of this humble blog. From time to time, I'll click on one myself to return to the scene of the crime, as it were, to read something I wrote earlier.

Today, I re-read a post from February, 2017 - Celsius 233. In that post, I wrote of my having saved on Spotify the recording of Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra performing the film scores of Bernard Herrmann. I've long been a fan of Hermann's work with Alfred Hitchcock, but I had not known at the time that Hermann had also written the musical score for the 1966 film, Fahrenheit 451.

In the earlier post, I wrote :

"Listening to the work this afternoon, my attention was drawn to Hermann's score for Fahrenheit 451. It had been years since I last watched the film - long before I knew the work of Bernard Hermann, and seeing the film listed on the LP, I thought of finding a way of watching it again. After doing an Internet search, and achieving less than satisfactory results, I was finally able to locate the entire film here."

I had included a link to the film on Youtube, but sadly the video has been removed. I'm sure there was a copyright issue. Today, when I discovered the video had been removed, I searched to see if the film could be found on ok.ru - a website which cares not one whit for copyright laws. Of course, I did find the film on the ok.ru site, but ironically, it has been dubbed into Russian.

I also wrote in 2017:

"As I say, it's been years since I've seen the film and I'm not at all certain that I ever got around to actually reading Ray Bradbury's novel. Being the cheapskate that I am, I searched for a copy as an e-book - free, of course. I've located a copy as a pdf here. At some point, I will convert the pdf to mobi for reading on Kindle. I can't say when that will be - I have a long list of novels in the queue".

It never made it into the queue.

The original pdf linked to in my post gives the page count as 77. That number looks suspiciously short to me, so I started a new search today.

I found a pdf on Project Gutenberg Self Publishing Press but at 108 pages, this seems to be an excerpt as well.

At 152 pages, the longest "free" copy is found at Internet Archive.

I suppose I could have saved all this work had I been inclined to buy the e-book from Amazon.

I'm not there yet.

No comments: