Tuesday, January 21, 2020

The Invisible Man

A few weeks ago, while watching old films on ok.ru, I came upon a link for the 1933 film version of H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man. It had been ages since I had seen this classic movie and couldn't resist watching it again.

It seems I had forgotten that I had read Wells' novel in 2017 and went to Project Gutenberg to download a copy and put the novel into the queue.

Immediately following Camus' The Stranger I began reading - or rather, re-reading Wells' 1897 novel. Of course, it was very familiar to me - however, I put this familiarity down to having just finished the movie. The movie does stray from the novel, but this isn't so noticeable at the beginning. It was not until the story had progressed to the scenes involving the cat, that I had to admit that I had read this all before.

Going through my book lists, I was able to verify that, yes I had read The Invisible Man in June, 2017. Still, after only 2 1/2 years, there were still portions of the novel which I could not recall reading.

I had forgotten, for example, that Griffin was an albino and his procedure would not have worked on him had he not been. I had also completely forgotten the ending.

How much of this forgetfulness is due to age? How much can be laid on the fact that I had read 45 books in 2017, and the speed at which I went through books may have affected my comprehension and retention?

No comments: