Sunday, January 5, 2020

Roosters

When I was interviewed recently by vlogger Vern Dahnke, we spoke briefly about the racket raised by so many roosters in the area. I also mentioned that one of my neighbors raised roosters for fighting.

Cockfighting is a popular sport in Philippines where there are legal and illegal fights. There are legal cockpits in many municipal areas, but there are also "illegal" fights held in rural areas.These private cockfights may be illegal, but like most laws and regulations here, the law against private cockfighting is rarely enforced.

I've never been to the authorized fights held in the arenas, but I've seen a few bouts on television as well as a few of the private cockfights held by neighbors. Contrary to what the aspca would have us believe, the cockfights here are not necessarily "to the death". Of course, an occasional rooster may be killed, but it isn't the intention of those holding the fight to have a rooster die.

While out on my morning walk recently, I took a few detours in order to get photographs. I came upon two of what I'd call rooster farms - not sure what they're actually called - and I took photos which I'm posting here.









No comments: