Thursday, January 2, 2020

Another Damaged Kindle

Back in 2014, I had somehow managed to damage my Kindle while flying to Dumaguete from Manila. Fortunately, I had purchased a Kindle for my son, and as he has never taken to reading, I've been able to use his these past five years.

As I mentioned in the last blog post of 2019, I transferred a copy of Mr. Skeffington by Elizabeth von Arnim onto the Kindle and planned to read it as the first novel of 2020. All was going well. I was enjoying von Armin's last novel as much as I had enjoyed everything else I read of hers.

If one looks at the photo used in my first blog post of this year, you'll see my Kindle opened to the page of Mr. Skeffington where I had read up to that point. I'm sure it is a coincidence, but after taking that photo and publishing that post, I began to have problems with the Kindle. As one can see in the photo accompanying this post, there is a black speck - a dot of sorts - under the words "in England" in the center of the photo. Immediately below the speck, the sentence is distorted. The page distortion was even worse while I was reading Mr. Skeffington. I had to finish reading the novel on an ebook reader on my PC.

Sadly, this is my least favorite way of reading an ebook. I've since then downloaded an ebook reader onto my phone. I haven't used it yet. This may be preferable to reading an ebook on the PC, although my phone's battery is terrible at holding a charge.

I had planned on reading In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu. I'll postpone that until I've taken a look at the new reader on my phone - or better yet, there's the chance that my Kindle will magically repair itself.

In the mean time, I'll watch the 1944 film version of Mr. Skeffington starring Bette Davis and Claude Rains.

No comments: